BetaNYC

Monthly Archives: December 2013

Home »  2013 »  December

Untitled

On December 19, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By ,, , With No Comments

Still in beta… This building mostly focuses on commercial and public buildings. I can’t wait till it is expand to private residences. nycedc: The NYC Broadband Map launches today! See high-speed broadband availability and express demand in your neighborhood if it isn’t yet available. There are almost 2,000 commercial buildings…

nycTWG’s letter to de Blasio on technology and transition

On December 19, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By ,,,,, , With No Comments

Jennifer Jones Austin & Carl WeisbrodCo-Chairs Mayor-Elect de Blasio Transition Committee December 18, 2013 Dear Co-Chairs Austin and Weisbrod: We write today to draw your attention to the historic opportunity the de Blasio administration has to harness the explosion in everyday Internet and mobile technology. This new technology can help…

Cuomo Hires New York City’s Chief Digital Officer – NYTimes.com

On December 18, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, With No Comments

Cuomo Hires New York City’s Chief Digital Officer – NYTimes.com A great day for #NYCtech!

Untitled

On December 17, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, With No Comments

It’s easier to get away with running over a tourist than it is to fight a bad grade from the Health Department. The Post takes a look at the numbers today, revealing that 97.2% of restaurant violation cases that come before an administrative court are upheld, leaving a scant 2.8%…

Untitled

On December 10, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By ,, , With No Comments

The map would have been great in 2000, but in 2013, releasing the map without the underlying data is a failed exercise in open government,” John Kaehny, co-chair of the NYC Transparency Working Group and executive director of Reinvent Albany, wrote in an email, adding that the group was not…

Untitled

On December 10, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By ,,, , With No Comments

NYPD’s approach to these two types of data encapsulates Ray Kelly’s blind spot for traffic violence: The police are pleased to show people where they should take extra precautions to preserve their cars, but not where they need to advocate for greater protection from dangerous driving. Ray Kelly Sees Value…

Reinvent 311: Mobile Content Challenge

On December 4, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By , , With No Comments

Reinvent 311: Mobile Content Challenge Join us in supporting @NYC311’s #Reinvent311 challenge. On Wed, 4 Dec we’re hosting a hacknight dedicated to 311. nycdigital: Did you know that 311 gets 65,000 inquiries a day? Hosted by The City of New York, Code for America and Stack Exchange, we are inviting…

Testimony to the Transportation Committee in support of Intro No 1114-A, 4 December 2013

Testimony to the Transportation Committee in support of Intro No 1114-A, 4 December 2013 It is a great honor to address you and represent New York City’s technology community, in particular, civic technologists and civic hackers, a rather active group of technologists. I am Noel Hidalgo, co-founder of BetaNYC. We’re the…

Untitled

On December 3, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, With No Comments

However, the site’s very public flop has also sparked a debate that could turn the travesty into a teachable moment. Suddenly, everyone is talking about how the government builds technology. Thanks a lot, Healthcare.gov | The Verge

On the signing of Intro 132, a bill that requires every city agency to webcast all public meetings.

On December 2, 2013, Posted by , In Blog, By ,,,, , With No Comments

“I thank the Mayor and Council’s leadership for making New York City the best city for the 21st Century.  For a democratic government to truly embrace openness and participation – in-person and online – open meetings are a necessity. Today, all New Yorkers and passionate advocates gain one more tool…