NYC BigApps launched in 2009 with a mission to open City data to the public. The competition is now the premier civic technology initiative of the City of New York. We pose a single question to our hundreds of annual participants: can you make NYC better with technology?
BECOME A BIGAPPS MENTOR
From March to June, New York’s top developers, entrepreneurs, thought leaders, designers, makers, and marketers will turn our problem statements and data sources into tools that make NYC a better place to LIVE, WORK, LEARN, and PLAY. We need mentors to serve as sounding boards and hands-on coaches on core skills (e.g. coding, design, marketing, business, etc.) as well as policy areas our teams will work on (e.g. jobs, housing, sustainability, etc.)
WHAT IT TAKES
We ask all mentors to contribute 15 hours over three months, either in person at our live events or through virtual “office hours.” Past mentors have been known to:
• Roll up their sleeves and coach teams as they code/design/solve at major events
• Connect teams with test markets or potential partners who can advance their product
• Brainstorm with teams to find novel solutions to deep civic challenges
• Provide feedback on early prototypes or sit in on practice investor pitches
• Share their war stories in panel discussions and online posts
• Recruit like-minded friends and colleagues to join the fun!
WHAT WE OFFER
Mentors are critical to the success of BigApps. In addition to oodles of NYC pride and the knowledge that you’ve taken part in the world’s most important civic hacking event, all mentors receive:
• Prominent feature of headshot and bio on NYCBigApps.com
• Access to some of the hottest tech and creative talent in the Big Apple
• Invitation to all NYC BigApps events, including our Mayoral-level Awards Ceremony
• Certificate of Appreciation from the City of New York
• Networking opportunities with fellow mentors, as well as judges and speakers
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact Melissa O’Young, BigApps Community Activator, email@example.com.