July 22, 2022
Greetings from the depths of the heat wave! It is Friday, which means it’s time for our week-in-review. Stay cool and see you next week!
This Week in NYC Civic Tech
- Our July newsletter is here. Catch up on this edition and be sure to subscribe for future ones!
- It is hot outside and we need to be prepared! Here are some tips on how to stay safe, courtesy of Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine. Find your nearest cooling center and visit the City’s Beat the Heat website for all info related to heat waves. If you experience electricity outages, call Con Edison at 1-800-752-6633 or text the word “OUT” to 688-243. Stay safe!
- The NYC Mayor’s Office for Economic Opportunity shared a new resource from EquityNYC titled Mapping Equity. If you would like to know more about the project, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There’s been an update for the launch of the MyCity Portal! Gotham Gazette has the inside scoop.
- New York City’s ferry ridership data is now on the Open Data Portal! It’s time to dig in…
- Devin Balkind wrote an insightful op-ed on the need to convene COPIC. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- Have you seen this article from the Markup regarding Planned Parenthood data being found on another location data company?
- Did you hear? This past weekend, a new hotline was launched for mental health, and it’s 988. When you dial the number, it will connect you to the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Be sure to share the news with family and friends — we have to take care of each other.
- July 27 at 2pm Operators in Crisis: How Did We Get Here?
- August 10 at 12pm LSX Summit 2022
- August 23 at 11am Women in Data Open House
Jobs Alert (for other jobs, check out the Jobs channel in Slack)
- KPF is seeking a Web Developer.
- Jigsaw Lab’s Data Engineering bootcamp is looking for a couple of externship partners. If you have any questions, reach out to Jeff Katz.
- The Open Environmental Data Project is hiring a Science Communication Fellow.
That’s all for this week. If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback, reach out to Gabrielle Langston at email@example.com. Also, feel free to share your events, announcements, and anything else that’s happening for next week’s post. Have a great weekend — stay cool and hydrated!