Hi everyone, we are pleased to present the August edition of our monthly newsletter The_Message! Read up and be sure to subscribe for future editions! Also, feel free to share your events, announcements, and anything else that’s happening. See you next month!
- Community Reports
- News Headlines
- Upcoming Events
- Announcements & Opportunities
- Keep in Touch
Friday, August 5th, 2022
Happy August, everyone! Interrupting your heatwave with a few quick announcements and updates.
- Discover NYC Open Data in a virtual class with the NYC Open Data Ambassadors!We have two upcoming sessions on Tues, Aug 9th at 4:30pm (RSVP) and on Weds, Aug 10th at 12pm (RSVP). Free and open to the public.
- Boundaries Map got a makeover thanks to BetaNYC Summer Associate, Eva Decker. Go on and find out all your administrative and political districts. Ping us on Slack with any issues or feedback.
- Are we on your RADAR? If you need data analytics or mapping help, our door is open! Learn more and submit a request.
- Recently, Council Member Gutiérrez and the Committee on Technology called for an emergency oversight hearing to address the inadequate rollout of the monkeypox vaccine. Tune in on Weds, Aug 10 at 1pm. Sign up to testify via Zoom Web, Zoom Phone, or in-person.
- Get ready to vote for your next State Senator and Congressperson in the second of two NYC primaries this summer. Election Day is on Tuesday, Aug 23rd and early voting is Aug 13-21.
- Looking for more NYC Civic Tech news and updates? We publish detailed weekly updates in #General. Join our Slack to stay in touch.
Stay cool, see you next month!
Hungry for more civic tech?
Read on for recent content picks from our team and community. Share yours for next month’s newsletter.
👀 Data, Tools, Maps, and Dashboards, oh my!
Looking for a spot to camp this summer? The folks at Mappy Hour have resources for you!
“I live in x state, should I flee/transition/come out?” Erin Reed has been tracking anti-transgender legislation across the country and built these maps to help people assess the risk of future anti-trans legislation.
NPR reports (with maps) that the number of New Yorkers directly threatened by flooding could more than double from about 207,000 in 2020 to 468,000 in 2080.
NYC Opportunity launched a new Mapping Equity tool that gives a geographic picture of New Yorkers’ quality of life, public service distribution, and demographics. (If you would like to know more about the project, email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Ferry ridership data is now accessible as NYC Open Data — guess it’s time to dig in and figure out how the city can spend less than double on subsidies to keep NYC Ferry afloat.
Oh, if only the US had transit like this! This map shows you how far a five hour train ride will take you, departing from any city in Europe.
📰 News Headlines
📆 Upcoming Events
Aug 8 at 4:30pm Discovering NYC Open Data with Council District 31
Aug 9 at 12pm Discovering NYC Open Data with Council District 34
Aug 10 at 12pm LSX Summit 2022
Aug 15 at 9:30am Ready for Revolution 2022
Aug 16 at 12pm Data Talk: Build Your Open Data Lakehouse on Apache Iceberg
Aug 20 at 4pm Summer Book Club: “The Address Book” by Deirdre Mask
Aug 22 at 10am BetaNYC Fieldtrip: Hike and Map Staten Island! Email email@example.com for more details
Aug 23 at 11am Women in Data Open House
Sep 7-9 DesignOps Summit
Sep 23-25 Data for Black Lives III (D4BL III)
📢 Announcements and Opportunities (Submit yours here.)
The NYC Analytics Exchange is calling for Speakers for this year’s Learning Summit. Respond to the call for proposals by Fri, Aug 19.
The NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development is hiring a Director of Data Strategy.
TechCongress is accepting applications for their 2023 Congressional Innovation Fellowship.
The College of Staten Island seeks volunteers for mock technical interview sessions.
Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF) is hiring a Web Developer.
🛸 Keep in touch with our community!
- YouTube (Open Data Week Videos are up!)
- NYC Civic Tech Facebook Group
- Open Data Week
See you next month! Peace, openness and gratitude 🗽
P.S. Did anyone else catch the Shark Week blimp flying over the city? 🦈