Hello everyone, we present to you the October edition of our monthly newsletter The_Message! Read up and be sure to subscribe for future editions. Also, feel free to share your events, announcements, and anything else that’s happening. Take care and see you next month!
- Local Legislation Watch
- Civic Tech and Gov Watch
- Upcoming Events
- Announcements & Opportunities
- Keep in Touch
Tuesday, October 11th 2022
Greetings from the midst of the Fall season! September was a lot, wasn’t it? Here’s a bit of what we have been up to:
- Discover NYC Open Data at upcoming classes led by Open Data Ambassadors — FREE and OPEN to the public. The next class is hosted with Council Member Jennifer Gutiérrez tomorrow, Weds, Oct 12 at 12pm. Check out the full schedule and RSVP to join us.
- Open Data Week: Call for Proposals! Submit a proposal for an event, a conference session or an art installation to take place as part of Open Data Week 2023, including NYC School of Data and Data Through Design.
- Miss last month’s BetaBagels? Don’t fret. Watch the event recording and learn all about NYC’s Office of Technology and Innovation (OTI).P.S. They’re hiring!
- Welcome Erik Brown and Sujin Shin! This Fall, Erik and Sujin joined our Civic Innovation Lab as Associates. Erik is completing his Bachelor’s in Computer Science and American Studies while pursuing a Master’s in Data Science at Fordham University. Sujin is at Hunter College, pursuing a Master’s of Urban Planning with a focus on Transportation Planning and GeoInformatics. We’re thrilled to have them working with us on RADARs this Fall!
Wishing you a spooky fun October,
Hungry for more civic tech?
Read on for recent content picks from our team and community. Share yours for next month’s newsletter.
📜 Local Legislation Watch
Last month, the NYC Council’s Committee on Technology held a joint hearing with the Subcommittee on Zoning and Franchises about broadband and equal access to the internet. In addition, the Council voted to increase transparency and accessibility at the 311 Customer Service Center.
The NYC Council is hosting hearings on supporting small immigrant businesses and the City’s climate adaptation in mid-October.
Speaker Adrienne Adams and the Council’s Black, Latino and Asian Caucus (BLAC) introduced legislation that would require the FDNY to develop a plan to implement inclusion, diversity and equity practices at the department.
👀 Civic Tech and Gov Watch
Catch up on all things NYC Open Data in the 2022 Open Data Progress Report, which shares the City’s progress this past year and includes a strategic plan as well as a compliance plan for NYC Open Data.
The NYC Council released the 2022 Pay Equity Report, which highlights pay disparities among City workers based on race, ethnicity, gender, and other protected classes.
Governor Hochul announced that the MTA will install security cameras in all NYC subway cars by 2025.
Mayor Adams and Chief Technology Officer Matthew Fraser announced the launch of Big Apple Connect after the Internet Master Plan was put on hold earlier this year. Here’s what Gothamist and Council Member Gutiérrez have to say about their plans.
Curious about NYC employment statistics? Check out this jobs dashboard that Zhi built to look at in City employment per industry.
Stefan Bohacek created an interactive map of street artists performing at subway stations throughout the City. The map was inspired by a Twitter thread composed after the arrest of Jazz Ajilo, a beloved saxophonist.
Election day is right around the corner! Here are some important deadlines to keep in mind:
- Fri Oct 14 – deadline to register to vote
- Wed Oct 19 – deadline to update your address
- Mon Oct 24 – deadline to request your absentee ballot online
- Sat Oct 29 – early voting begins
- Nov 8 – vote at the polls!
It’s PB Season! Participatory Budgeting (PB) is here! The NYC Council wants to spend at least $30 million in capital funding and YOU have the chance to propose ideas on how to improve public spaces. Share your ideas today and make your voice heard!
📆 Upcoming Events
Oct 12 at 12pm Discovering NYC Open Data: Online Session with Council Member Jennifer Gutiérrez
Oct 12 at 3pm In Conversation with Dr. Timnit Gebru and Minerva Tantoco on Ethical AI
Oct 13 2022 NYCETC Conference
Oct 14-16 Code for America’s Brigade Congress 2022
Oct 15 TransportationCamp NYC 2022
Oct 20 Spatial Data Science Conference New York
Oct 24-25 SCNY Urban Tech Summit 2022 – Climate Mobilization: The Power of Urban Tech
Oct 28-29 Public Interest Technology University Network Annual Convening
Dec 1-2 R Conference: Government and Public Sector
📢 Announcements, Job Openings and Opportunities (Submit yours here and see our #Jobs channel in Slack for more posts.)
- Amnesty International is hiring a Technology and Inequality Researcher.
- Civic Design Library has opened their call for submissions of civic design case studies.
- Cloudfare is seeking a Senior Software Engineer.
- Columbia University is hiring a Finance Manager and a Managing Director.
- DataKind is searching for a Technical Projects Senior Manager, Nonprofit Finance and Compliance Consultant and Data Scientist Consultant.
- Leap Fund is recruiting a Program Associate and Intern.
- Manhattan Community Board 3 is hiring an Assistant District Manager (Job ID# 554382).
- Manhattan Community Board 8 is searching for a Community Associate (Job ID# 552997).
- NYC’s Campaign Finance Board is seeking a Data Scientist.
- NYC’s Civic Engagement Commission launched The People’s Money, an initiative where we will have a say in how to spend $5 million of mayoral expense funding to address local community needs. Share your thoughts today!
- The NYC Office of Technology and Innovation has numerous openings, including a Capital Budget Analyst and a Public Safety Security Engineer.
- NYC Planning is looking for a Senior Data Analyst.
- NYCHA is hiring a Performance Management Analyst.
🛸 Keep in touch with our community!
- YouTube (Open Data Week Videos are up!)
- NYC Civic Tech Facebook Group
- Open Data Week
Like this newsletter and what we do? Donate $22 or more to our 2022 campaign and support employment opportunities for Civic Innovation Fellows and Apprentices to grow with us.
See you next month! Peace, openness and gratitude 🗽